ICOB provides Nikah services for residents of the local community in the masjid or off site. Our imam is authorized to perform such services anywhere in the State of New Jersey.
•Request for marriage ceremony will be made 2 ‐ 3 weeks in advance.
• Couple must meet all Islamic requirementsfor marriage
• Groom ‐at minimum‐ (both bride and groom preferred)shall meet with person performing
1. Marriage will not be performed between a Muslim female and a non-Muslim male.
2. Although not required, the couple is advised to obtain a marriage license prior to the Nikah Ceremony. For procedures on how to obtain a marriage license please read the following sections.
3. To request a Nikah Ceremony at ICOB, the couple must complete the Nikah Service Request Form (Form 009) 2- 3 weeks in advance of the ceremony.
4. The Nikah Ceremony can be arranged at ICOB Masjid or at an offsite location.
5. Approval of the marriage by the bride’s guardian must be demonstrated, prior to the marriage
6. A verbalized commitment to Islamic tenets by the groom and bride must be made, prior to the marriage.
7. Proof of identity of the couple will be required.
8. Two Muslim males who know the couple or at least know the bride must be present, as witnesses during the ceremony.
9. A Wakeel / guardian for the bride, regardless of bride’s age or prior marital status must be present, at and during the marriage ceremony.
10. An appointment for questions, clarification, confirmation of compliance with requirements, for services must be arranged by the couple prior to the ceremony.
To establish a Marriage between a couples in the State of New Jersey, it is necessary that they are at least 18 years of age. Those who are under the age of 18 may enter into a Marriage with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family part.
1. The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
2. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Please contact the Local Registrar to determine if license applications are handled during business hours or by appointment.
1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
2. Proof of your residency.
3. Your social security card or social security number.
4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.
5. The application fee (usually $28.00)
In Old Bridge Township Please make appointments at least 1 month ahead of your marriage date.
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
1. A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth
2. If you are divorced, please bring the annulment documents.
3. If your former spouse is deceased, please bring the death certificate.
1. There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
2. You must apply for Marriage License 30 days prior to marriage.
3. Once the License is picked up the ceremony must take place within 30 days or the license will expire. If your license expires you must reapply and purchase another license.
4. The license is filed by the Officiant in the town in which the Marriage takes place.
Certified copies with a raised seal are available from the Registrar’s Office in the town where the event took place. They are your legal proof of the marriage.
5. Appointments are required for marriage or civil union applications. In Old Bridge Township, please call 732-721-5600 ext. 6200 or e-mail [email protected].